Training set for February
Applications for potential volunteers
Next training will be 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. Sept. 28.
Call Wendy Hellard, director of volunteer services, or Maureen Draut, volunteer services coordinator, at (859) 236-2425 or email email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Ways to work with patients
Heritage Hospice volunteers can do a variety of things to help patients and family depending on the need. Sitting with a patient and being a good listener are a couple of ways they help. The Circle of Care program is designed for volunteers to stay with actively dying patients who don’t have family in the hope that no one will die alone. Trained volunteers provide bereavement care to family members who are grieving the loss of a loved one through companionship and support programs. Examples of ways volunteers assist are: running errands, light housekeeping, preparing light meals and spending time with patients so caregivers may have a break.
Ways to work with hospice staff
- Assist administrative or clerical with mailings, computer work and filing.
- Assist with fundraising, including the annual plant sale, cookbook sales and special events.
- Assist with the quilt project, which provides patients with quilts.
- Assist with card design and scrapbooking.
Guidelines for being a volunteer
- Must be age 18 or older.
- Complete the volunteer training course.
- Be in good physical health, free of communicable diseases.
- Must not have had significant loss in their own lives within the past year.
Requirements for volunteers
- Be willing to participate in continuing education.
- Be willing to attend 50 percent of monthly meetings.
- Be able to satisfy a criminal background check.
- Be willing to provide two personal references to be contacted.
- Must be responsible for submitting necessary paperwork in a timely manner.
- Must be willing to adhere to Heritage Hospice Inc. policies and procedures with respect to staff and volunteers.
- Honor the confidentiality of patients and family members.
- Be willing to have TB test or screening yearly.
Area for current volunteers
Forms for reporting on volunteer activities